I’ve had a number of people asking about my savory gluten-free chickpea pancakes since I posted this photo of them on Instagram. These pancakes are a great substitution for bread for a variety of recipes, including eggs Benedict type of dishes.
I made them here with minced dill since I planned on topping them with smoked salmon, a poached egg and hollandaise sauce.
On occasion, I’ve substituted cilantro as the main herb, added a pinch of cayenne pepper, topped it with a fried egg, cherry tomatoes, scallions, sour cream, and Tabasco on top.
|Savory Chickpea Pancakes|
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons scallion, sliced very thin and then minced
- 2 tablespoons dill, minced
- ¾ cup water
- 1 egg, separated
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- In a medium bowl, combine the chickpea flour with the baking soda, salt and black pepper.
- Add the water, egg yolk, scallion, dill, and red pepper to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- In another bowl, whip the egg white until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold in the egg white into the batter until just combined.
- Heat the olive oil in a small saucepan until hot but not smoking.
- Pour the batter into the saucepan and cook over moderately high heat until bubbles appear on top of pancake and the bottom is golden. Flip and cook for a couple minutes until lightly browned.
- Transfer to a warm plate and keep warm in the oven.
- Repeat with the remaining batter, adding olive oil as needed between batches.