I started my day with this wonderful and hearty Mexican dish. I think every Mexican family has their own version of chilaquiles. The dish came into being as a way to use stale tortillas.
I usually cook them with scrambled eggs and red sauce the way my grandmother would prepare them for me, but making them with a green sauce over a fried or poached eggs gives the dish a softer mix of flavors that is delicious.
|Hearty Chilaquiles Verde|
- 2 cups fresh washed spinach
- 1 poblano peppers, roasted, cleaned and seeded
- 2 Anaheim peppers, roasted, cleaned and seeded
- ¼ cup onion, chopped for the verde sauce
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ cup cream or vegetable broth
- 1 small clove garlic
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup red bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup sweet onion, diced for the chilaquiles
- 2-3 cups mild cheese (Jack, Colby cheddar) grated
- 8 corn tortillas, torn into bite size pieces I I use Mi Rancho Organic tortillas
- 1-2 eggs per person (this recipe is for 4 servings)
- Place the peppers, spinach, ¼ cup onion, cilantro, cumin and garlic in a food processor and puree until completely smooth.
- Pour the puree into a saucepan and heat to just below boiling.
- Add the cream, season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- In a large pan, heat the oil.
- Place the red pepper, ¼ cup onion and tortilla pieces in the pan and toss to coat with the oil.
- On medium heat, sauté the mixture for 5-7 minutes until the tortillas are softened and the onions become translucent.
- Scatter the cheese over the tortillas and lightly mix it into the tortillas. Cover to keep warm.
- Fry or poach the eggs.
- Place the tortilla mixture on a plate or serving dish.
- Place the cooked eggs over the tortillas and a spoonful of the verde sauce over the egg. You can also also place the tortilla mixture in an ovenproof dish, lightly fry the eggs, place them on top of the tortillas and bake them in a 375 degree oven until the eggs are cooked to your desired doneness.
For garnish: cilantro sprigs, sliced scallions, avocado, cherry tomatoes and sour cream or crema.
Hearty Chilaquiles Verde by Eva Marie