We are on our way to a fun trip in Las Vegas today. The flight is finally giving me a few minutes to sit down in one place and write a little. Busy is good, right? However, it is important to remember to mix some fun in with the hard work, so that’s our plan for the next few days. Seeing good friends, great music and Cirque du Soleil and Beatles’ LOVE are the makings of great celebration.
Last week, while still in Boulder, I found big, beautiful and juicy local organic blueberries in our market, which inspired me to make mini-galettes for a small dinner party. They were so delicious and the perfect size to send home with our guests.
My husband calls these “pop-tarts”, as they are just the right size for a quick snack and can be served as a hand-pie, but they can also be dressed up with a dollop of crème fraiche, whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.
|Organic Blueberry Mini-Galette Crust|
- 2 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1¾ sticks cold unsalted butter, diced
- ½ cup chilled water (more or less as needed)
- 1 egg yolk (for egg wash)
- Sugar for sprinkling
- In a food processor or by hand, cut together the butter, flour and salt until just barely blended (there should still be small pea size bits of butter in the mix).
- Add the ice water a little at a time, pulsing the processor a few times each time you add the water or tossing with a fork. Only add enough water for the dough to just hold together. It may appear a little lumpy, which is fine.
- Remove the dough and form into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap or wax paper and chill for 30 minutes or so (you can also freeze it at this point for future use).
- Remove dough from refrigerator and separate into six balls. Keep two of the balls out and put the rest in the fridge to keep cold.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to approximately 7 inches, trimming the edges as needed, dust with flour and place on a plate in your refrigerator. Continue to do the same with the rest of the dough until you have six rounds.
- Once all of the dough is all rolled out, prepare the fruit filling.
|Organic Blueberry Mini-Galette|
- 3 cups blueberries, washed and blotted dry with a paper towel
- ⅓ -1/2 cup sugar (adjust the amount based on the sweetness of the berries)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Mix together all of the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Place the pastry rounds on a lightly floured work surface.
- Divide the blueberries between the pastry rounds, mounding the berries, as best as possible, in the center of rounds (those blueberries do like to roll and scatter).
- With each galette, gently fold edges of dough over the fruit mixture, pleating as you go, leaving an opening in the center.
- Brush the pastry with the egg wash.
- Sprinkle the pastry dough with a little bit of sugar.
- Using a spatula or a cake lifter, transfer the galettes to a parchment lined sheet pan.
- Place galettes in oven and bake at 400° F for 10 minutes and then reduce heat to 375° F.
- Bake in 375°F oven until pastry is golden brown and fruit center is bubbling, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove galettes from oven and allow to cool for about 20 minutes and then carefully, using a spatula to lift them, transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Garnish with a few fresh blueberries.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, crème fraiche or a dollop of whipped cream.