Here is my basic go to Simple Tomato Sauce. You can cook it down so it is thick and use it for pizzas, or as is for pasta dishes or even a dipping sauce.
Simple Tomato Sauce
|Simple Tomato Sauce|
Recipe type: Condiment
Author: Eva Marie
Serves: Approximately 3½ cups
- 1 28-ounce can diced or stewed tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1½ cup water
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 teaspoons mixed dried herb (oregano, parsley, basil)
- ½ onion, diced
- ½ sweet red pepper, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: a splash of red wine
- Sauté the celery, onion and red pepper for approximately 5-7 minutes, until the onion is transparent.
- Add garlic and herbs and cook for a minute or two.
- Pour in the tomatoes and water and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, or food processor, blend until smooth.
- Return to pan and simmer until desired thickness is reached.