I’m not a big cake eater. It seems that most of the cakes I’ve been served at restaurants or parties are dry with overly sweet frosting.
While the ingredients in this cake may sound a little strange, this Olive Oil and Butternut Squash Cake is a delicious!
It has a very tender texture and wonderful spiced flavor that is so good this time of year. It can be made in a smaller and taller pan, as I did, and made into a layer- cake, or it can be baked in a larger pan and simply frosted on the top. Truth is, it is so moist and flavorful, it tastes great as is with no frosting at all.
|Spiced Olive Oil and Butternut Squash Cake|
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped walnuts and or raisins (optional)
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded and grated (approximately 3⅓ cups grated)
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter or oil a cake pan and line it with parchment and then grease and flour the parchment, (use either an 8 x 3 inch, which is what I used here, if you are planning on cutting layers, or a 9-inch cake or spring form pan if you are only frosting the top and sides).
- Place the olive oil, eggs, sugars and vanilla in a large bowl and stir until mixed well.
- Add the grated butternut squash and mix until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, salt, baking soda, baking power, spices, and nuts and/or raisins, and give it a good stir.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until fully incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, place on the middle rack of oven, and bake for 1 hour and 15 to 20 minutes.
- Do not open the oven while the cake is cooking or the cake will most likely collapse – just let it bake.
- Remove from oven and cool on rack.
|Cream Cheese Frosting|
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 -8 ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted
- Using an electric hand-mixer, beat the butter, vanilla and cream cheese until smooth. Add the confectioner’s sugar and mix slowly at first and then whip until fluffy and smooth.
- Frost cooled cake as desired.